- The State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs (hereinafter referred to as the Laboratory) is one of the first group of state key laboratories established and authorized by the formerly National Planning Commission in November, 1985. The Laboratory started to operate and was open to domestic and international cooperation in December, 1987. The Laboratory has 49 staff members, including two academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), one chair professor of Cheung Kong Scholars Program established by the Ministry of Education, four winners of National Outstanding Youth Fund, and five grantees of the Program for New Century Excellent Talents funded by the Ministry of Education, and 25 doctoral program supervisors. Researchers of the Laboratory have formed research groups of synthetic medicinal chemistry, natural drug, pharmacology and pharmaceutics, etc. The Laboratory has an academic committee and a management committee. The academic committee consists of fifteen scholars including six academicians, with Prof. Lihe ZHANG (Academician of CAS) as the director and Prof. Kui WANG and Prof. Liang HUANG (Academicians of CAS) as the honorary directors. Current director of the Laboratory is Prof. Xinshan YE.
- The laboratory focuses on both fundamental and applied research on natural and biomimetic drugs, studying nucleic acid, protein, carbohydrate and trace elements to help tackle major diseases, such as tumors, cardio-cerebrovascular diseases, mental illnesses and virus infections. After all these years’endeavor, the laboratory has become a comprehensive research structure covering multiple disciplines, including chemistry, biology and pharmacy, etc. The laboratory achieved insurmountably in the fields of nucleic acid chemistry, carbohydrate chemistry, glycobiology, bioinorganic chemistry, natural product and Chinese herbal medicine. The laboratory also have passed four assessments organized by the Ministry of Science and Technology with favorable results. Currently, the Laboratory has on the following research areas:
- Laboratory has on the following research areas:
1. Discovery and identification of biological drug targets
2. Drug discovery based on biomolecular targets (nucleic acid, protein and carbohydrate)
3. Identification of lead compounds from natural resources and active ingredients from Chinese medicine
4. Mechanisms of drug delivery in biological system or during therapeutic processes
5. New drug innovation and manufacturing
- In recent years, in parallel with the emphasis on basic research, the Laboratory has strengthened its work on drug innovation to address major strategic needs of the country. It has built a series of technology platforms for drug innovation, which consist of computer-assisted drug design, drug screening and drug ADME/T evaluation, etc. Currently, the Laboratory is able to conduct complete drug screening procedures, from the molecular level to the cellular level and animal models. Meanwhile, the Laboratory established a sample bank of natural products and synthetic compounds, which lays a solid foundation for the construction of a comprehensive drug innovation platform. In addition, the Laboratory owns state-of-the-art facilities and equipments gradually, and has built up a sharing technology platform for drug testing and analysis with 17 large-scale instruments.
- The Laboratory endeavors to create a platform for academic exchange and cooperation with domestic and foreign peers. Presently it has already established substantive collaboration with many research institutions and pharmaceutical companies (such as Pfizer, Eisai and Pierre-Fabre) in the United States, Germany, France, Japan and Hong Kong, etc.. The Laboratory also successfully held a series of important international conferences, such as the 3rd Asian International Symposium on Medicinal Chemistry, the International Symposium on Chemical Biology and the 2nd National Conference on Chemical Biology, and the International Symposium on Drug Innovation at Post-Genomics Era, the 40th IUPAC Congress, the 1st Round Table Symposium on Chemical Biology of Nucleic Acid and Carbohydrate, and the 4th Sino-US Chemistry Professors’ Conference. In addition, the Laboratory supports and encourages collaboration with domestic scholars on open projects that conform to the research directions of the Laboratory.
- Over these years, the Laboratory has trained a group of high-level pharmaceutical professionals and has undertaken many national key projects. Faculties in the laboratory have won many national and provincial awards, such as the second prize of the State Natural Science Award and the second prize of the National Science & Technology Progress Award. The Laboratory has made remarkable contribution to the national pharmaceutical development and becomes one of the most important pharmaceutical research bases in the country.
copyright 2010Stake Key Laboratory Of Natural ,Peking University